Tournament frequently asked questions
Preparing for the Regional Tournament
- Make sure you have the copies of your paperwork. Regional sites do not provide copy functionality. Keep a copy of your paper work. You may need it if your team is invited to the state tournament
- Talk to your parents. Parents / audience is not allowed in the instant challenge rooms. The one exception is made for one parent per child in the early learning challenge.
- Schedules. Your tournament schedule will be made available as soon as possible. In some cases, the schedule may not be ready until the week of the tournament. Please contact your regional tournament director if you have a scheduling concern.
- Most challenge masters set up the tournament site on Friday night before the tournament. Teams are welcome to take a peek but your competition site may not be ready when you stop by.
- There will be signs pointing the way to prop storage locations.
- Remind parents about the rules about independence and why we have that rule. Parents can help carry props up to the launch area but cannot fix broken props (even if they broke them).
- Raw scores from the team challenge will be available from the challenge master at the presentation site and should be picked up as early as you can.
- If your team has questions or concerns about their score, discuss it with the challenge master first. If the team is still concerned, request a Dialogue. Only the children and team manager may participate in this appeal process.
- No raw scores for instant challenge are provided.
- After the awards ceremony, the challenge master will provide each team one copy of the division scoring summary for your challenge to one team manager.
- Your team will be notified about your eligibility to compete in the state tournament during the awards ceremony.
- Eligibility for the state tournament is limited to the first place team and any second place team that scored within 90% of the first place team.
State (Affiliate) tournament
Preparing for the State Tournament.
- Get your hotel reservation established right away. Lodging fills up quickly!
- The team needs to bring all of the required challenge forms to the state tournament, too! None of the paperwork submitted for the regional tournament will be brought by tournament officials.
- Teams often refine their challenge solution between the regional and state tournaments. And that's okay!
- Officials set up the tournament site on Friday night. Teams are welcome to visit the tournament site on Friday night between 5:30 and 7:30. Please note that the appraisers are usually setting up during the same time frame. All teams must leave the tournament site by 7:30 PM.
- No changes can be made to the student roster after the regional tournament. It is okay to attend the state tournament with fewer team members.
- Your team will be notified about your eligibility to compete in the global tournament during the awards ceremony.
- Eligibility for the global finals tournament is limited to the first place team and any second place team that scored within 90% of the first place team.
- The Going to Globals meeting is held immediately after the awards ceremony. Attendance is very important for team managers going to the Global Finals.
- Teams often refine their challenge solution between the state and Global tournaments. And that's okay!
- No changes can be made to the student roster after the regional tournament. It is okay to attend global finals with fewer team members.